Saturday, April 27, 2013

Reflections on TLA in Fort Worth 2013

It has been way too long since I have had the privilege of attending the Texas Library Association convention and I had forgotten the effect of this amazing event. Yes, 1992 seems like an extraordinarily long time but that is the year when we moved from Houston, Texas to Spartanburg, South Carolina. But absence makes the heart grow fonder and I am ecstatic to be back as a Texas librarian again!

Reflective thoughts from TLA 2013:
  1. Both General Session speakers, JR Martinez and Dan Ariely, were inspirational.
  2. Listening to the incredible Lone Star author panel was worth their entire weight in gold.
  3. Richard Byrne's, Free Technology 4 Teachers, session was a long anticipated encounter. I began following Richard about 4-5 years ago and seeing an icon in my PLC in person was wonderful.
  4. My next stop was listening to Rosemary Chance and Teri Lesesne have a battle of the booktalks in “New Books for Teens and some Tweens Too!” Those two ladies know their YA literature.
  5. “Right Now: New YA Literature to Entice Readers” was very enlightening.
  6. What can I say about Lois Lowry?
  7. I picked up some ideas from “The AASL Best Websites for Teaching and Learning” and decided to collaboratively present with other district librarians this summer at NISD's TechnoPalooza with our own best websites.
  8. Attending the Texas Tea at the Omni with the most amazing YA authors was the best. I cannot wait to share this experience with my students.
  9. The vendors were amazing.
 Pros: 
  1. The sessions were very well planned and the variety provided something for everyone.
  2. Meeting some in my PLC and collaborating with new and innovative ideas was just what I needed at this time in the year – very inspirational! 
  3. Reconnecting with old fantastic friends from my days at Aldine ISD such as Cindy Buchanan brought me back to younger days. Oh how I have missed you!
  4. Meeting and learning from the "Rock Stars" in our profession was rejuvenating.
  5. Getting inspired with new innovative ideas is why I attended TLA 2013!
Cons:
  1. Time limited me from doing it all.
  2. I was unable to attend Saturday's events.
Professional development is an essential part of being a librarian. I was filled to capacity from my venture at TLA 2013. Thank you to all those involved with this time consuming task of planning such a Texas sized event!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...