Friday, August 2, 2013

A Gardener's Perspective




Hey look mom - it's a bunny.
Better hang on tight since we are sight hounds.
As my much needed and appreciated summer vacation continues thoughts of self evaluation and improvement for the next school year steadily creep into my mind as vacation days come to an end.  This summer has been filled with an enjoyable routine.  I'm up by 6:30 a.m., feed the 4 dogs, drink 1/2 cup of coffee, walk 2-3 miles with 3 of the dogs, eat breakfast after the walk, and begin my gardening ritual before the unbearable heat drives us all back into the house.

Gardening has been a passion of mine for years and this summer I have spent countless hours tweaking, evaluating, water, and adding as needed to my Texas gardens.  Since this is the 4th growing season of my garden it's beginning to evolve as a beautiful setting for butterflies, hummingbirds, and an array of vibrant colorful summer flowers. Not only is dabbling in the dirt a passion of mine but it's also a science of knowing what makes an exceptional garden.  I have had fantasies of my garden in a magazine or repined numerous times on Pinterest so this summer I stepped back and took an evaluating look at how I could improve the fruits of my seeds.

Lantana - the hummingbirds favorite
When neighbors and friends step into my backyard I take immense pride in their compliments of my hard work.  But when I took a closer look at my garden I noticed nice healthy plants thriving but for some reason they looked totally out-of-place.  Had I misjudged the placement or arrangement of these plants? Should I leave them knowing this was not the best position in the garden or should I take steps into metamorphosing  this really nice garden into an awesome sanctuary? Obviously, I chose to move and rearrange the plants for the better of the garden.

As I sat back on the patio relishing in my labors the thoughts of evaluating my library program came to surface. I have a good steady library program but are there areas that could be tweaked to make it an awesome program?  It was easy for me to see what needed to be changed in the garden but the changes in the library are not as prevalent.    

Stella d'ora daylilies
Sometimes we can have blinders on when evaluating ourselves and can't see the forest  through the trees.  How many times have I heard, "If it ain't broke don't fix it"? But what if you could make an adjustment to make your facility to bloom into paradise?  We can all get trapped in this is always been the way we do it syndrome. Take an evaluative look around and choose an area that works but with a little change could be better or even awesome.  I know I will be bringing thoughts of my garden into the library this year. Take out some fertilizer, start digging into your programs, replant in areas of need, so your library may flourish into an amazing garden of fun and knowledge.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...