Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Process Can Make the Difference


My partner on the patio
I must give a BIG "shout out" to Mike, my dear husband of 28 years.  We actually won an Atari, our first computer, in the 1980s.  We bought joy sticks and spent countless hours playing Pac-Man, Destroyer, and other awesome games.  Oh, how times have changed.

We were in desperate need of a new computer since the one in our command center (branded name via our builder) was 6+ years old.  We actually rarely used it since we both have iPhones, iPads, and laptops.    On our latest trip this summer my husband bought a new Cannon 700D camera and needed a means of conveniently downloading, storing, and sharing the 1,000+ pictures he took in Alaska.  Since we both liked our Apple products, for the first time in our lives, we bought an iMac.

A Texas classic
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Since I spend many countless hours sitting on our back patio writing, brainstorming, collaborating, and planning for school my husband surprised me with the technologies of our new computer.  We had speakers out on the patio that were rarely used and a DVD player in our movie room that sat idle.  Mike set up a audio system through the iMac in our house where I now can remotely turn on and off the music through my iPhone (Remote app) from anywhere in the house and play my favorite songs while delving into the digital world on my back patio. All I do now is pick up my phone, select the remote app, choose the artist, select the song, and touch the play button.  I can even turn the volume up and down while sitting on the patio, weeding the garden, or getting myself another glass of cold iced-tea all with my iPhone.  

Interesting enough when he showed me this new technology my first thoughts were how can I get this in my library?  You can take me out of the library but you can't take the librarian out of me.

The lesson learned here was that we had awesome music and quality equipment that were not being utilized due to the cumbersome process.  Yes, we had to look through the DVDs, select the ones we wanted to play, and manually put them into a player.  With a little innovative planning and technology we now have a new process where I will once again be able to enjoy the soothing rhythm of my favorite musical artists.  Take a look around your library and ask yourself do you have a process that might be hindering the utilization of the library program?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...