Thursday, March 6, 2014

C-O-L-L-A-B-O-R-A-T-I-O-N

When I have a successful collaboration story I want to stand on the top of a mountain and shout it out. As a librarian I am fully aware that if I don’t have collaboration, I don’t have an effective library program. I try and take full advantage of all collaborative opportunities as possible. Some come planned while others may just drop in my lap as did with this opportunity.

Principal, Chris Jones reading to the kindergarten class.
It all began with WRAD (World Read Aloud Day).  I mentioned to my IT (Instructional Technology) Coach that I wanted to try and collaborate on a WRAD activity using GHO (Google Hangouts). Within two days I was in a district GHO with all our IT Coaches. While in the GHO a Google document was shared live with the group. Notes were taken, ideas were developed, and an awesome WRAD program developed. Our IT team sent out a district wide request using a Google form asking for volunteers to either read or classes wanting to be read aloud to. Our IT coaches matched readers with classrooms and decided to use Skype instead of GHO.

My first selfie just before I began reading to a 6th grade math class
During our WRAD event the district Twitter feed had a stream of pictures and comments about the read aloud event. I saw Assistant Superintendents, principals, teachers, students, and librarians come together during this awesome day. I teamed up with my principal and we read to a kindergarten class. He ended up reading 3 books to the class and took pictures and tweeted while I read to the same class. When our Skype session was over he commented, “That was so much fun.” That one comment was priceless. Although the day was filled with my regular schedule and duties, I took the time out to connect through Skype with two different schools and read out loud to their classes. It took about 45 total minutes of my time but I have made many other positive connections through this event.

Our Skyoe screen
I challenge you to stop, look, and listen for collaborative opportunities in your school. I must give a huge “shout out” to our awesome IT Coaches that took the idea of one librarian and made it into a fantastic day in our district. I believe I saw a post by another district peep that said everyday should be read aloud day. I am so lucky to be working in such a progressive district.


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully collaborative experience. It started with a spark that found the right fuel and ignited into a rich experience for students, staff, and admin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julee. We all had a great time.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...