Sunday, March 16, 2014

It Might Be Old, But It's Good!

There are an abundant amount of web tools available and at times I’m overwhelmed and have used options such as Pinterest as a curation tool.  When a new (to me) tool is introduced through my PLN (Personal Learning Network) many times I’ll set-up an account, browse through its basic functions, and curate it as needed.  Sometimes I will immediately use and share the tool while others times I may not revisit until needed.  Even with this process I find great tools fall through the cracks.

That being said, I decided to revisit the Google URL shortener http://goo.gl.  On Oct. 16, 2010 was the first time I used Google’s URL shortener but for some reason I discontinued using this awesome tool.  I used the Hide option on the sites to remove these old URLs that have since been relocated.  It’s as easy as inserting a URL and clicking “The Shorten the URL” button.  The Long URL, Date Added, Shortened URL, Details, and Clicks for each entry will appear in your list. 




For those of us who use Blogger the analytics available for each entry looks very similar to the options in Blogger.  You can view the number of clicks on a site, the referring site, and country location of viewer.  You can also narrow this down by time.  I love that it also includes a QR code for the shortened site. 

You need to use  http://goo.gl when signed into your Google account where all your information will be stored. A note to myself is to start revisiting some of the old tools from the past and possibly revitalize their use in my PLN today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...