Top 10 Reasons to Sponsoring a Coloring Contest:
- It was a fun activity sponsored and promoted by the library
- It didn't require extensive planning my part
- The items were easily found and purchased
- All students were invited to participate
- No creativity was required
- It made a colorful display
- It helped celebrate School Library Month
- It was a new program and received much positive attention from both teachers and students
- It brought students into the library before school and during lunch
- It helped create a positive welcoming environment to all students and teachers
This year I tried a new library program and it was not only fun but a welcomed success. With many blogging, tweeting, and commenting on adult coloring I decided to host a bookmark coloring contest in honor of School Library Month in April. I found awesome bookmarks on the Demco website along with some colored pencils and that's all it took. Students were given almost 3 weeks to complete the contest and the results were so phenomenal that I had a difficult time choosing a winner.
Here are the bookmarks from Demco. There were 5 templates to choose from. I had some leftover for next year as I hope to continue this tradition.
I put the bookmarks on display in a case with many students, visitors, faculty, and parents stopping to admire the colorful arrangement. This easy to manage program brought so much interest that I continue to get requests for the coloring bookmarks even after the event is over. Who said library programming was difficult? Make it easy and think about adding a simple coloring program to your library for a positive overall outcome.